Monday, August 29, 2011
Hurricane Hiking
For some reason, we decided that the day the day Hurricane Irene was set to hit the East Coast would be the perfect day for us to go hiking. Don't ask me why. Sometimes, we are just crazy. It was fun though. It was pretty warm and the trees were thick so the rain wasn't too bad. We didn't actually get hit by the hurricane in Frederick, just got the heavy rain and winds and those didn't get bad until that night. The older girls had a blast and Mango seemed to enjoy herself too. Unfortunately, they had closed the best part of the hike (a waterfall) due to the weather. We were a little bummed. Poor Strawberry's shoes had gotten a little small for her and she was getting some blisters, but she toughed through and they didn't get too bad. We still managed to have fun though.
I love getting these kids outside. We don't let them watch TV on weekdays and so they want to spend all weekend watching as much as they can and turn into little zombies. :P But once they are outside riding bikes or hiking or at the park, they can't stop telling me how awesome our activity is. I'm tempted to cut out TV completely, but then I would be a hypocrite. Luke and I watch after they are in bed. :) And Strawberry is already embarrassed about the fact that we don't get cable. Kids at school are shocked. It's silly because she can watch everything from Disney Channel on Netflix so we really don't need cable. Disney Channel bugs me though. I don't like the messages all their shows send. Parents are stupid, the first thing any of the kids do when they get into any kind of mess is lie about it, and somehow everything works out. It happens in every episode. Oh, and parents will cave as long as you bug them enough. I don't like how they portray girls. I don't like how they portray boys. Plus, have you seen what happens to Disney Channel stars when they get older? Yipes. I try to balance it out by making them watch things like Whale Rider and Ponyo. Anyways, yeah. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We spent some time banning TV form our home. Never seemed to have sticking power. Our best was allowing one TV show during the week and TV on Saturday morning until the parents got up. Then, no more TV on Saturday until after dinner. Sunday was no TV until after dinner, except for conference. That plan lasted the longest and until Kevin left home on his mission.
I like wet hikes!! And here we were worrying about you guys as the hurricane hit you! No more prayers for you guys!! Just kidding......
Pop C
Post a Comment