The Phoenix Theatre included Les Miserables in its season this year and Luke was very excited to go. He got himself tickets for his birthday. I was ambivalent. I mean, I really liked the music and had listened to it as a teenager, but had never had much love for Broadway. I prefer opera, but I doubt I would even spend much to go to that. So he dragged me unwillingly on Saturday afternoon. The room was full of old ladies and nuns. Okay, I have never actually seen a nun in real life and I was kind of excited about that. I wanted to go and talk to them, but they were clustered up together and it would have been weird for me to tap them on the shoulder and start asking them silly questions (I am sadly lacking in my education about other religions--I've been trying to make up for it, but I didn't even know what the Trinity was until I was 22. It's always been more me explaining to other people about being a Mormon than the other way around).
Once they opened the doors we went into this tiny little theater with this tiny little stage and Luke was just a little concerned that this was going to be a cheap, badly performed version, which didn't seem right because the Phoenix Theatre seemed to be very professional from reviews and stuff. So we were a little nervous.
But, oh my, it was amazing. I was crying through the first 20 minutes. It was all a lot more meaningful than it had been when I was 15 and having it performed so close to us where we could see faces and expressions carried across the messages beautifully. Everyone's voices were perfect. The last time I had been to anything like this had been at Ricks where they have huge auditoriums and amateur singers so this was so far beyond anything I had been to before. It was such a great experience and I'm very grateful that Luke dragged me there. Thank you honey. The only downside is that now I've got all the songs in my head, but they aren't terrible songs to be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment