Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Seabee

Luke sent a few more pictures from Afghanistan recently, so I thought I'd put a couple on here.  We're down to three months to go.  He and his guys are still busting their butts, doing amazing jobs.  I'm glad that he got to be a part of the battalion he did because they really are awesome.  They did so well with the switch from Japan to Afghanistan, even with an earlier deployment and have been accomplishing so much.  Four is fabulous.  :)  They actually have a Facebook page where there are tons of pictures.  The battalion is over 600 people, I think, and so Luke is only in a couple of the pictures, but it is still cool to be able to see everything that they've been doing.  They have built one base from the ground up.  There are different companies and details doing different tasks.  This is the link: NMCB 4.

Luke calls once a week and we have an instant messaging date once a week and then we email whenever we get the chance.  I feel like I use up all our time on the phone talking about the girls and so he knows more about what is going on for us than I do about what is going on for him.  He's really busy getting ready for his SCWS qualification which involves a test and a project and an interview, I think.  Then he gets to wear a cute little bee medal above his ribbons on his uniform.  Just kidding, it's not cute.  It's a very tough bee with a machine gun.  It's a warfare qualification so of course it's tough.  I just think the seabee is adorable.  :)  Here's a link to wikipedia: Seabee Combat Warfare Specialist so you can see what it looks like.  So he's building and studying and missing his babies.  They also made him a group leader so he can have church on Sundays, kind of.  I think he said there are 3 or 4 other people that come   who are with the Army unit on his base.  Anyway, here are the pictures.  In the top one, he is speaking at a re-enlistment ceremony for the guys next to him.  In the bottom one, he is playing football on their hump day (half-way through day).  It's nice to see them having a little fun.

4 comments:

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

Thanks for the update, Bethany. It is good to know what is up with our oldest!
Dad C.

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

Thanks for the update. I looked at the seabee medal link. It's great looking. I'm proud of him too.

Thanks, Ann

Luke said...

Hah, check out the farmer's tan on the QB. Everything pasty white except from the arms from the sleeve line and from the t-shirt neck to the base of the sunglasses. We are sexy.

Bethany said...

Way sexy. Jeana came over to borrow our computer (they are all packed up and I'm so sad because Apple and her little boy just got engaged--she proposed while they were hiding in the minivan--and she is totally going to miss him; she even started liking Star Wars because she knew that he liked it) and this picture was up on the screen and she said, "Bethany, why are you looking at pictures of cute boys playing football?!?" LOL. I just can't help myself.