Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween


Halloween was hugely anticipated this year; partly because costume companies kept sending us catalogs of amazing costumes.  There was this perfect warrior princess costume that Luke and I thought was perfect for Apple, but she decided she wanted to be Rapunzel instead.  Strawberry decided on a Greek goddess, and we thought that Mango would make the perfect little Red Riding Hood.  Unfortunately, the Greek goddess costume we ordered became unavailable, the Rapunzel costume was crazy expensive, and the smallest Red Riding Hood costume was size 4-5, way too big for our little princess.


So I thought the solution to all our problems would be if I made the costumes myself.  I decide every couple of years that I can do this, forgetting how bad I am at sewing.  But hey, I just need more practice.  The costumes actually turned our really well, but took forever.  I must have spent at least 75 hours on the stupid things.  I want to be able to sew clothes for my little girls, so hopefully, if I keep it up, I can actually produce clothing good enough to wear on days other than Halloween.  :)  Anyway, it was fun.


The girls loved their dresses and especially loved being able to see them slowly come together.  Mango's costume was especially a hit.  She was pretty darling since she's so tiny.  Apple lost her wig after the 3rd house, but she was sparkly enough that she didn't care.  And Strawberry spent the evening striking poses and knew she looked amazing. :) At the ward trunk-or-treat, she would ask people what they thought she was and she got "Athena" a lot, which made me feel like I pulled it off.  I'm pretty proud of her costume because I had to design the pattern myself (inspired by the catalog).  It's really simple, but not bad, hey?  It was fun.











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are wonderful. You did a great job with sewing them. They all look so pretty and cute. It is almost too bad that they will grow out of them!

Love, Mom

Megan said...

Go Bethany! Those are so amazing! I'm still too scared to whip my sewing machine out,lol! I haven't even finished Kale's baby blanket... that I started before he was born =p. Anyways, just thought you should know I admire you, hehe. And the girls are so adorable! As always! Tell them Aunt Megan and Uncle Kevin think their costumes were amazing!

Bonster said...

Beth you rock!!!! Those costumes are so good! And the girls look amazing in them :)