Friday, January 20, 2012

Kid Quotes 2011



  • Strawberry: "It doesn't feel like Christmas Eve: it's not even dark" (at noon).
  • Apple: "How did Jesus get Santa Claus to celebrate his birthday?"
  • Apple: "It doesn't really feel like Thanksgiving. There was supposed to be a turkey saying "cockadoodle doo" when you woke up."
  • Strawberry: (after I had mentioned that I didn't like being referred to as the 'Bishop's daughter' when I was a kid): "Waaait, your dad was the Bishop? You have never told me that. I do not believe it. Really? You never ever told me that. I just can't picture it. I can't picture him as a bishop, just as a grandpa. Are you telling the truth?" She was laughing and talking like I had told her the craziest thing. So funny.
  • Mango, after lunch, pointing to her room: "Naaaaaap!" She's trying to make up for all the trouble she gave me as a newborn. :)
  • Mango, after I accidentally pinched her fingers in her car seat: "I so sorry, I so sorry!" She pronounces it "shah-eee" and it is so stinking cute. Love my munchkin.
  • Apple: "Watching TV where they are playing games makes me think that this is a game and I don't know what living is." I need to get her into some philosophy classes. :)
  • Apple: "Mom, did we go anywhere today?" Me: "Nope." Apple (eyes lighting up): "Then that means you were a stay-home mom today!"
  • Apple: "How come your mom doesn't give you an allowance?"
  • Apple (while eating an apple): "Mom, I bited through to the seeds! I'm the first person who has ever done that before!"
  • Apple (during a discussion about whether or not boys can be ballerinas): "I shouldn't have laughed!" Me: "Why not?" Apple: "Because then you found out what I was thinking." Me: "But I want to know what you are thinking." Apple: "But then we get into this . . . conflamation!" I love that she made up a word that expressed what she was trying to say perfectly.
  • Apple: "It kind of tastes like when my hands are dirty and I suck on my fingers" (while eating fries with malt vinegar).
  • Strawberry: "Mom, do you want to know why I think you are an amazing mommy? Because when I ask you something, you always explain it to me really good because you want me to learn. I really love that." Wow. I don't think she could have said anything more validating.
  • Apple: "I really like those kind of cars that don't have the top part." Me: "Like that convertible?" Apple: "Yes, but I also like that one over there." Me: "Oh, that's a Jeep." Apple: "Okay, then John can get a Jeep and I'll get a white convertible and then we can have both." Holy smokes! John moved away a year ago. She hadn't actually talked about him in a while, but she had proposed to him last spring. This girl is faithful.
  • Strawberry: "We were playing with Apple's Barbie and pretending she had this disease where every time she heard the voice of a grown-up over age 20, she had to scream! And so we had to take her to a secret island where they could give her a surgery." Barbie's life is getting a little interesting of late.
  • Strawberry: "It's kind of hard because everyone we learn about is a boy and we don't get to learn about girls." You're telling me, sister.
  • Apple (wailing): "I don't want to talk to daddy on the computer. I want him to be here actually!" :( Missing daddy around here.
  • Strawberry: "Mom, do I HAVE to go to Law School?" I have no idea where that came from. Kids are so random.
  • Apple: "You shouldn't be tricking me! That doesn't make me be smarter!" (to Mom after I teased her that I had bought the wrong flavor of ice cream.)
  • Me: "Why were you up so late last night?" Strawberry: "I got my head stuck in a book and I couldn't stop!"
  • Strawberry: "I have apparently accomplished about Justin Bieber. I like him. A lot." (I love it when she uses big words incorrectly--stinking cute!)
  • Apple: "I wonder why the water is coming from my eyes" (during the new Nanny McPhee--I cried too).
  • Apple: "Mom, when I am older and you are up in heaven, can I have your bed?"
  • Strawberry (during homework): "Mom, can you turn on a song?" Apple: "But then I won't be able to concentrate. . . on coloring." She takes coloring VERY seriously.
  • Apple: "Mommy, will you read me the Toy Story book?" Me: "In a minute, after I finish reading the news." Apple: "News isn't important; children are important!"
  • Strawberry: "My favorite boy singer is Dave Matthews and my favorite girl singer is Taylor Swift." Apple: "My favorite singers are mommy and daddy." Strawberry, "Oh, mine too, mine too! That's what I meant."
  • Strawberry: "Mom, this is the greatest, most interesting, most best book I have ever read in my life. I'm not even done and I'm giving it 5 stars. All I want to do all day is read it. I don't want to eat or sleep or play or do anything else but read it. It is EXACTLY like my life!" (She's reading Beezus and Ramona. Love it.)

1 comment:

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Growing gardens, canning food and raising kids are all quite fulfilling and bring gobs of satisfaction. The big difference is that you can eat what you grow in your garden and what you can! The kids, you just sit and smile the rest of your life. I have enjoyed watching these little bits of wisdom show up every so often on your side bar. Now they are documented forever in your blog.
Dad, Grandpa, Uncle and Mr. Cowley