Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hair


I took the girls to a local salon the other day to get them all haircuts. Mango had never done it before and was pretty terrified. She was so funny. She sat perfectly still and wouldn't say anything or even look at the stylist. But when she pulled out the hair dryer, Mango was in more familiar territory and allowed herself to have a crying fit. It was so funny. She doesn't like dryers, but she usually lets me do her hair without a fuss. She was totally mad at me for the rest of the day. It was super cute though and the next day, she was pretty happy about her fun hair.






Since it was Mango's first so she was scared and I wanted pictures, I was focused on her the whole time. Big mistake. The other girls got their hair butchered (yes, I'm exaggerating). They both came in with really really long hair (way too long, I know) and wanted to keep it pretty long and just cut off the dead ends, but I turn around and Apple is sitting there with her beautiful hair in a pile. Okay, it wasn't that bad and it's still long, but it was way more than I had discussed with the stylist and she didn't shape it the way I asked her to and it pretty much looked like I had cut it myself. I'm terrible at cutting hair. It doesn't look too bad, but it was frustrating.

But Strawberry's was the worst. Her stylist cut off so much, almost to shoulder length. It actually looked really cute on her though and the haircut itself looked pretty good. But then when we got home, I looked at it a little closer and realized that a big chunk of the underneath layer of her hair was an inch shorter than the rest. You can't tell unless you lift it up, thank goodness, so she can grow it out a little bit before we fix it. The rest of it isn't well blended and looks a little choppy. Oh well. It's not the worst haircut she's ever had. When she was 5, her hair ended up looking like a mullet. It was really bad. Poor girl.




I had asked around and had a couple of people say this salon was okay. I should have known better though because I didn't ask for a specific stylist and it was a pretty cheap place. I have had so many terrible haircuts and it wasn't until I started going to nicer places and getting recommendations about specific stylists that I have had any luck with my hair. I actually had an appointment the next day for myself and she gave me exactly what I asked for and made it look amazing. It would have cost a little more to take the kids there, but it would have been worth it. Oh well, hair grows back and now I know.

Luke thought it was pretty ridiculous how upset I was about the whole thing. He is right, they all look beautiful and their hair is fine and I probably overreacted. But he just doesn't understand. He just uses clippers every week or two. For the rest of us, hair is a big deal! 

1 comment:

MangusColoradoTribe said...

Cute haircuts, but I know what you mean about how the stylists sometimes just whack too much off. As Dad says, the only difference between a good haircut and a bad one is about 3-4 weeks.