My tiny little Apple turned 6 this year. Can I tell you how much I love this age? Actually, I love all the ages my kids are at right now. But 6 is awesome because you can start getting a better glimpse of what is going on in those heads of theirs. I forget sometimes how deeply little kids can think. Plus, Kindergarteners are just bundles full of energy, and this girl is totally crazy. I love it. She is always making jokes and laughing her head off. I think she'll be the most likely to break an arm or a leg with the way she can be completely fearless. But then she'll turn around and be intensely timid. She is ridiculously stubborn but so cuddly and sweet. She's very girly, but also a bit of a tomboy. She's just amazing and I loving having her in our family.
Apple was very specific about her birthday breakfast, and I had to make it into a face or she wouldn't eat it. She was little bit frustrated because she didn't feel like she was 6 yet and had expected something more. But she was still super happy and bouncy. She had to have "twisties" and yellow flowers in her hair that would go with her favorite shirt. I walked her in to school because she wanted to show me something and all the office ladies and hall helpers commented on what she was wearing and she told them all about her birthday. And then when they said, "Oh, is yellow your favorite color?" she would glare at them and roll her eyes and say, "No it's hot pink!!" Little stinker. It was weird they had to go to school on the day before Thanksgiving, but it was only for a half day.
After dinner at Outback (everyone picks this for their birthdays now) we had chocolate cake and opened presents. She had asked for Slinky from Toy Story and went completely bonkers when she opened it. It was so cute. And we also got her Buzz so now we have just about everybody. I love the Toy Story toys. But we don't have any of the movies. Funny, huh? We are going to wait until after Thanksgiving to throw her a party so this was just a boring old family party, but those are by far my favorite. :)
Here are a few of the silly things she has said lately that I haven't put on the sidebar.
"When it is almost my wedding day, I am going to get in a car and drive around until I find Jon and then I'm going to marry him." She's so funny because she is always holding hands with boys and gets in trouble for hugging and kissing boys at school and keeps coming home with things that boys have given her, but her heart is still completely faithful to her first love. I will be sad when she stop thinking about him as her future husband.
I made CDs for the car that we rotate through, 2 with classical, 2 with pop songs and an opera song came on. Strawberry asked if we would change it to one of the pop CDs and Apple said, "I need to listen to this because I have opera." The way she said it was so cute, so self-assured that opera was just something that was a part of her. She does go around singing at the top of her voice all the time.
On Sunday, the priest messed up on the Sacrament prayer. Apple asked why he had to say it again and I explained that Heavenly Father wants us to do those special kinds of prayers perfectly. She rolled her eyes and said, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."
At FHE we were talking about guilt and I asked the girls if they could remember the worst they had ever felt about something they had done. This is an easy one for Strawberry because she has the strongest guilt complex I've ever seen (sidenote--how do you explain to a 9 year old that what she has done wrong isn't really that bad without making it seem like it is okay to do those things? The poor girl gets really worked up about things sometimes). She said something about when she had said something about someone behind her back. Then Apple came up with a super exaggerated sneaking walk and this huge grin on her face and said, "I sneak food!" So I said, "Does that make you feel bad?" "No, I like it!"
Most of these were just the way she said them. I wish I had a video camera brain. I have one in my phone now, but it isn't quick enough. I love these next two pictures that I took within a minute or two of each other. In the first, she still looks like my little baby. In the next, she's looking so big. Anyway, she's a blast and we love her.



2 comments:
Wow! Six years old and looking so lovely. It looks like she had a wonderful day. Precious girl!
Love, Grandma Leman
I am happy you still do a blog. It helps us feel closer to the kids and you two. I am happy you are learning to cook. No wait, that sounded wrong. It is fun to learn new things and expand your experience base. Cooking is fun isn't it!!
The family all looks well and growing. We sure miss you guys! I agree with your mom....where are your pictures??
Dad C
Post a Comment