Friday, December 5, 2008

O Christmas Tree

We set up our Christmas tree and set out all of our other many decorations (stockings and a nativity set--hey, we move a lot).  Strawberry had been begging us to do it as soon as she saw lights on the other houses, so we finally gave in.  I wonder if it was just up to us, if the tree would go up at all.  The stockings had to go up between the dining room and the living room because for the first time, we don't have a fireplace.  The funny thing is, this is the first time that we would actually be able to use a fireplace because the house is big enough that we wouldn't have to put furniture in front of the fireplace like we have always had to before.  Oh well.  The dream house we finally get to buy when we retire from the Navy will have one.  :)
We have a lovely fake pre-lit tree so it didn't take all that long.  I have a phobia of real Christmas tree because four years ago, we bought a real tree and made it all lovely and then a couple of days later, our cat tossed a real, alive snake onto my chest from behind the couch where I was laying reading my scriptures.  I have a deep-seated terror of snakes (thank you Jon and Peter--snakes in my bed, snakes getting thrown at me, being chased by brothers holding snakes) and have now associated snakes with real Christmas trees because the only explanation I could figure for how the snakes got into our house was that they were in the tree and then had thawed out and come alive.  I know, it was stupid and the subsequent appearance of numerous snakes indicated that they were just getting into our house on their own through holes or
 something (they were garter snakes and I think were just trying to get warm--what an awful infestation though, hey?), but I still can't get over my aversion to real trees.  Anyway, so that is the story of our fake tree.  Didn't mean to get sidetracked.
Luke and I bought Strawberry and Apple special ornaments for their first Christmases.  Strawberry's is a little bunny in a pink stocking.  At the time, Strawberry totally had chipmunk cheeks and the little bunny totally reminded us of her.  Apple's was an ornament based on "O, the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.  When I first saw it, I knew it would be perfect for her, but it was so different from Strawberry's that I thought maybe I should just get a baby one like I did for her.  But I am glad we decided to get it because I want both of my girls to know how much we believe in them and the amazing potential they have.  So Strawberry's ornament expresses the joy our babies have brought to us and Apple's ornament expresses our hope for their future.  Of course, to them, the ornaments are just cute things we hang on the tree, but I hope that someday they understand their parents' meaning.

No comments: