Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween

We had a great Halloween this year, complete with a witch, a black kitty, pumpkins, and lots and lots and lots of candy (I think that is all they have had to eat today).  We made foam decorations for the house and then carved fake foam pumpkins (I think next year we will stick with real pumpkins--much more Halloweeny).  Our ward had a trunk-or-treat and pot-luck the Wednesday before.  I made Jambalaya--mmmmmm.  It was good to get a little dress-rehearsal, but I still didn't really get the point of the trunk-or-treat part.  Do the kids not get enough candy on Halloween?  The costumes in our ward were amazing.  There was a girl (teenage) in a Belle dress that must have cost a pretty penny.  Apple followed her around adoringly.
On Halloween itself, Strawberry's school had a Halloween parade and she loved doing her pageant wave to the adoring crowds.  There were lots of storm troopers and princesses.  Apple went wild every time she saw a fairy or princess.  We decided to go trick-or-treating in my parents' neighborhood because the houses were farther apart (less candy, more exercise).  The girls got to sing the song they had been practicing:  Trick-or-treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat, if you don't, I don't care, I'll pull down your underwear.  Except Apple would say, I pull down my underwear.  I guess she was threatening to moon them.  Strawberry was especially excited for Halloween night because I had promised to paint her face green.  I'm terrible at any kind of art, including makeup, but it turned out okay.  She looked a little like Elphaba, but with a more glamorous dress.  I loved both of the girls' costumes.  It was kind of nice not having to worry about sewing them.  I was planning on sewing Apple a fairy costume, but then I saw this little kitty dress and had to have it.  She loves twirling in it.  I'll save the fairy for next year.  It was fun.  We definitely love Halloween at our house.  This morning Apple said, "We go trick-or-treating tonight!!"  

2 comments:

Marcee said...

The girls look adorable... so fun! We haven't done makeup around here ever... boys costumes that they have picked don't require make up. It's a good thing because I don't think that I would be good at it. I love the girls costumes though... so cute! We do a trunk or treat with our ward too because that is, for some, their only trick or treating. Sad, I know. Glad you had fun!

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

The two cutest girls in Arizona and New Mexico combined! How long did it take for the green stuff to come off Luna's face?
Grandpa Cowley