Friday, November 28, 2008

I Upset the Balance of the Universe

The day before Thanksgiving, I ran into an opportunity to do a good deed.  I was totally excited because when I was working I was helping people constantly and I missed doing my part for the world.  This wasn't a big deal--a mom and daughter had bought a plasma TV at Walmart but couldn't fit it into their car.  I was walking by and heard them tell the guy who was helping them that they didn't have anyone they could call.  I had the pickup so I offered to give them a ride home where they forced me to take $20 (I really really didn't want to, but it made her feel better about it--why can't we just do nice things for people anymore??).  An hour later, I got one of the best haircuts in my life for which I paid $20 (and I have had some awful haircuts).  

Well, apparently the universe was upset with karma for rewarding me even though I accepted money for my good deed and decided to take it out on my kids.  When I picked up Strawberry from school, she had this huge, swollen bruise on her face.  Apparently, about the same time I was getting my hair cut, she walked too close to a kid on a swing and got hit in the face, fell down hard, and got a mouthful of dirt. (Side note: when the other kids said she needed to get help from a grown up, she said "It's okay, it's okay, my mom's a nurse"--awwww, I feel special).  Then, an hour after we picked up Strawberry, we were walking into a grocery store and I was carrying Apple.  It had rained for the first time in months and the road was a little slick.  When I stepped on a painted speed bump, I slipped and fell on my rear, totally dropping Apple who landed on her bum and elbow and fell back and smacked her head.  I felt horrible.  I dropped my baby!  She was very upset and it took me a while to make her feel better.  She spent the rest of the day saying "You not walk on de bumps, onee de woad.  I fall down."  It broke my heart.  

So that's what I get.  Darn you universe!

No comments: