Monday, March 22, 2010

Another Milestone


Is it just me, or does Mango totally look like Grandpa Leman in this picture? She has some big news. She got her first tooth yesterday. She'd been drooling like crazy the past couple of days, but hadn't been especially fussy. She had been making the turtle face a lot though. While we were sitting in church, I thought I'd check, and sure enough, there was a sharp little tooth just peeking through on the bottom. Last night and today, though, she's been having a hard time. She's been very fussy and unable to nap. Hopefully whatever tooth is trying to come through does so soon.


I did go out and buy a Bumbo to help her try sitting up and to make feeding time a little easier. But she doesn't get it. She won't stay sitting up at all, and usually just tries to eat it. She's always leaning over to either grab her feet or a toy that's out of reach. She's seriously never going to learn to sit up. And that doesn't really help with feeding her. I didn't think it was possible, but she is even harder to feed than her sisters. She just won't swallow. Actually, right now with the teething, I can't even get her to open her mouth. I have to pry it open, but then she spits everything right back out anyway. Strawberry and Apple were pretty bad themselves, but not this bad. All I've ever wanted is a baby who will eat food! I have a friend with a little boy and girl who are the best eaters I've ever seen, and they are the only ones I have ever been completely envious of. Music prodigies, super athletes, geniuses. . . who needs them? But a child who will finish a cup of macaroni and cheese, I will cry over. Strawberry figured out eating once she started school, but Apple is still sooo picky and eats like a bird. So I know I've got at least 6 more years before mealtime isn't a battle. Sobs!

Meanwhile in Afghanistan. . . . Luke is starting to see the results of all their labors as Army units have started moving in to the base. Yay! Except of course they are being poopheads because it is, after all, the military. Boo! His detail has been working crazy hours with no days off for a month so he decided to give them two days for themselves. But he's had stand between his guys and all the people with new demands so that they can actually take a break. He has been really proud of his Seabees and all that they have accomplished in such a short time in such adverse conditions, but the people who have just gotten there can't see just how much change has happened. So it's kind of a thankless job. Well, we know that you are amazing honey.

6 comments:

The Hunts said...

Maybe this will give you hope... My (not) baby wouldn't eat any baby food at all. Nothing. Not one little drop. She clammed her mouth shut, turned her head away and wiggled her heart out to get away from that evil spoon. But once she got enought teeth and I tried her on regular food she ate like a champ! Still does and she is my least picky. Good luck! :)

MangusColoradoTribe said...

I can remember a doctor telling me that he and his wife never worried about spoon-feeding their children. When they got old enough for solids, they would put the food on the tray in front of them and let the baby figure out how to grab it and stick it in their mouth, things like pieces of bananas, soft veggies, etc. It seems like Mango grabs things and sticks them in her mouth. Maybe she would do that. He said it was very messy, but worked. By the way, does the Bumpo interfere with the development fo the muscles babies use to learn to sit up? I don't know.

Heather Walker said...

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, Xander doesn't eat anything other than breastmilk:( I try formula and he just spits it right out. He'll open his mouth for solids, but spits them out, so I am still getting up with him through the night to feed (except for last night when he actually slept the entire night for the first time in months). The Bumbo is definitely a good idea...it actually helps strengthen the muscles required for sitting and they use them at Xander's physical therapist's clinic.

Luke said...

Regardless of muscle development, I think that picture by itself justifies the purchase of the Bumbo. EAT THAT THING.

Luke

Luke said...

Okay, I feel better about her not eating anything, but now I feel bad about complaining. The fact that she sleeps so well totally makes up for eating issues. It's good to hear that about the Bumbo. I'll put her in it more often. She actually sat up in it for 10 minutes straight yesterday because my older kids were watching Ponyo and she became totally fascinated by it. Miyazaki films don't rot brains, right?

MangusColoradoTribe said...

Maybe you should spread some solid food on the Bumbo part that she chews on!