Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just My Girls




I got a new phone for Christmas and it has been so nice to be able to take good pictures wherever I go without having to bring my big camera. Strawberry told me I had to get this app (Instagram) that Aunt Kate had shown her last time she visited. I have an artist friend who takes pictures exactly like this with old cameras and polaroids. So now I feel cool. :) I would really like to take a photography class because I have a pretty good camera, but I only use the auto setting and just take pictures of my kids because they're cute so they always turn out okay. I was talking to a guy who just bought a $6,000 lens for his top-of-the-line Canon and he's a hobbyist. He actually told me I could borrow it just to try it out and see if it is my thing. Since I tend to drop things, I declined his offer, but it would be fun to see what I could pull off on auto with that lens. :)

3 comments:

Megan said...

=] I understand what you mean Bethany. I feel like sometimes there are things I just don't understand, because I have always thought one thing and yet... that one thing doesn't always line up. I do several things in those cases. I remind myself of moments when the spirit has witnessed to me the gospel is true. And then I remind myself that someday, it will make sense. Even if I have a hard time with it now. And those things I have a hard time with, I try and put on the shelf. Like polygammy. I have an awful awful awful time with that concept. So, I try not to think about it. I have studied it. I have learned some things. I am still having a hard time being understanding of it... but you know... because I know Heavenly Father exists and loves me and because I have received the witness that this is his kingdom on the earth today, I figure, someday he will help me understand what I don't understand now. And accept what I have a really hard time accepting now. So, for now, I just accept that he is my loving Heavenly Father, and my understanding is not his understanding.

Anyways, wow, that was long winded. I just meant to say, I hear ya sister! But thank goodness for prophets and thank goodness for a loving kind God who knows our intent to seek truth and align our lives with him. It will all come out in the wash =] because he knows our desires to do our best and to be our best.

sincerely, the doctrine of Megan, lol. ;p. P.S. your girls drawings are too cute!

Megan said...

Love these pictures =].

So, I was totally one of those people that said I would never own an iPhone and now lately I am finding all these different reasons it would be totally awesome to have one.

Like, to look up that recipe you forgot to print before going to the store. Or the GPS. Or that super hipster cool Instagram app.

DARN YOU APPLE TECHIES! They are just too good at what they do.

This is me, drooling over the prospect of an i-phone =].

Bethany said...

Thanks Megan, I really appreciate that and I totally agree that Heavenly Father will help us understand the things we need to, especially the things that we have a hard time with.

But I guess my issues are more when I think the leaders are wrong about things. I do have a testimony of the gospel, but I get frustrated when leaders (general and local) talk about things as if they were gospel when they aren't necessarily, but they make it seem as if it isn't okay to believe certain things. Especially when they are dismissive of other perspectives. I don't think necessarily that they are WRONG, wrong, and I'm right. I know that I have so much to learn and may be way off base on some things, but there are things that are up to me and what the spirit teaches me.

Elder Christofferson said "At the same time it should be remembered that not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. It is commonly understood in the Church that a statement made by one leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, not meant to be official or binding for the whole Church. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “a prophet [is] a prophet only when he [is] acting as such.”

That is sooo great, but it is also really frustrating, because how do we know when it is opinion and when doctrine? He said to use the spirit, but other leaders like Elder Bednar have said the prophet needs to be followed to the letter, like with the story about the girlfriend who didn't take out her extra pair of earrings.

And I definitely want to hear the opinions of leaders, even when it is not necessarily doctrine. But when they say, "This is the Right way and any other way is the Wrong way and doesn't belong in the church," I feel like they are putting up boundaries that don't necessarily belong. I know there do have to be some boundaries. But when they are put up around earrings and the Big Bang and religious scholarship (and so many other things), I think they are excluding things that shouldn't be excluded and making people, including me, feel like they don't belong among the faithful members of the church. And that is a really horrible feeling when I have worked hard and sacrificed and am working hard to continue being a faithful member. So it just burns a little.

But, yeah, polygamy. Ugh. It just is an awful concept. I know part of that is cultural, but still. I personally consider it a temporary mortal thing and Jacob 2 backs that up. If the time ever comes that I need to start believing in it, I trust that the Holy Ghost will let me know. :)