So you know it is going to be a bad visit to the doctor when three different people, including the doctor, ask, "Was she premature?" What's that supposed to mean? First, she was 50th percentile on height, but less than 25th percentile on weight. Which she has always been, by the way. But I got the interrogation: "What are you feeding her? How often? Are you giving her solid food? How much?" Look at her! She's not starving to death. Check out those monster thighs! And look, I could have even provided him with this lovely photo narrative about her eating habits. I tried the little straining mesh spoon things, but she would only put the plastic part in her mouth or chuck them on the floor. Those things splatter. I actually read online that you should try using your own finger rather than a spoon to feed the baby. That actually did work a little better because she wouldn't just spit everything out and opened her mouth better. But it took forever and she got pretty mad at me before we were even close to halfway done. So then I tried a modified version of mom's idea and just let her smear it all over the highchair and herself and lick it off. Not too bad. The funniest thing was, as I was cleaning her up, she couldn't keep her little hands off the wipes and would stuff as much of them into her mouth as she could and suck on them. She can't stand sweet potatoes, but she loves soap. Weird.
I'd love to have the doctor come to my house and try feeding her. It was so funny because when he stuck the tongue depressor in her mouth, she fought him hard. Really hard. She clamped that little jaw down and threw her head to the side. "Wow," he said, "she's got a really strong tongue." Yeah. She does.
Then he asked me if she could sit up. Nope. "Well, I'm sure she's pretty close because she's 7 months. Let's try." So first he tried to sit her down, but she stuck her legs straight down like she wanted to stand instead. Once he finally got her bent in half, she totally flopped over. "Well, she really should be sitting up on her own. I'm not too concerned yet because she seems fairly active." She, meanwhile, had rolled on to her tummy and was wrestling with the paper on the table and trying to grab his tie and stethoscope and chart. She's gotten to that point where she is all arms and fingers and grabs everything. So cute. She's also gotten to the point where she has figured out rolling and can make it across the room to whatever tiny little choking hazard her sisters have left on the floor. I've always been amazed that when they are that low to the ground, they can still see dimes clear across the room. But, no, whenever I try to sit her up on her own, she either just flops over or dives for whatever she thinks she can reach for. Anyway, I'm supposed to work with her over the next month so hopefully she can wow him with her ability to sit still.
Okay, I just realized why she's deaf. Apple said, "Do you want to hear the giraffe?" and held up a squeaking toy right next to her ear and squeezed it as loudly as she could. She and Strawberry also both tend to get right into her face and yell.
So, anyway, I was a little bummed after this appointment. I've never had a negative review about my kids from the doctor before. But don't they always say, "Every kid is different and these are just guidelines?" She's way different than her sisters, but she still seems like a totally happy, normal baby. A little hyperactive. Maybe that's it. She's got ADHD. She needs to be medicated! ;) She just laughed at me because she almost fell over and I said, "Whoa!" Then she made kissy noises at me. Now she's trying to grab my toes. See? Happy, healthy baby.
Hmm, I wonder if this is contributing to her issues. She does love to watch movies. :)
6 comments:
My babies are total opposites. They sit at like 5 months (which is WAY before they roll, by the way...), and then they get stuck there. Nothing new until they're almost 1, and then they might deign to roll, or crawl, or stand up...something. But then they don't walk until they're 15 mos. I hear my fair share from doctors about it, but all 4 of them have been the same, little stinkers. Plus, they're way at the top of the growth charts. I get so many comments about my chubby babies! Someday I might grow immune to it all. I'm sure your little baby's just fine :)
Thanks. I know I'm being a total spaz, but this kid makes me feel like a brand new mom. I guess that's what I get for having the four year gap between her and Apple. Maybe the doctors have to say something because if it turns out there is a problem, they don't want you saying, "But you said she was fine!" I just want them to say, "Wow, she's perfect. Great job." I need validation, butI should just get over it. :P
Good luck to Mango with the sitting thing...I know how hard Dr. visits like that are. Xander has been going to physical therapy since he was 2 months and it is very hard to hear about all the things your baby should be doing and isn't. I will be so happy because I feel like he is making progress and then the pt starts commenting on a whole bunch of new things he should be doing and isn't. I go home incredibly depressed and wanting to cry. I love my little one more than anything and think he's perfect just how he is and I try not to stress about things which is hard when you are dealing with people hung up on milestones. Good luck to you and Mango! She is a beautiful baby and I am sure she is just fine!
Awww, Heather, how frustrating. He is perfect, dang it. I wish we lived closer so we could hang out and tell each other how awesome our babies are.
She is perfect. I hate what I am missing. How can a baby who is obsessed with eating her High Chair tray not be perfect.
:( I hate that you are missing it too. You would think she is hilarious. I figured it out though. She rolled over for the first time right before you left and the only thing you've missed in the meantime is her first tooth. She refuses to eat or sit or crawl or babble. She's waiting for daddy to come home because she doesn't like you missing things either.
Post a Comment