Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Baby Steps


I made my first foray into gardening last week: we planted flowers in a pot.  Ooo, wow.  We went to Home Depot and bought a pot, some purple and white African daisies, and some other orange flower that was pretty.  I don't remember the name and I threw away the card.  Since I had no idea how many flowers to buy, my arrangements are pretty goofy looking.  But they are pretty.  I looove daisies.  The girls thought this was my best idea ever and we made a huge mess of ourselves getting dirt into the pots and watering them (and ourselves in the process).  Mango sat in the grass looking annoyed.  That girl does not like the backyard much.


I figure that if I can keep these flowers alive for a few weeks, I'll get some bigger planters and we can grow a little vegetable garden.  I don't know what vegetables though.  My kids only consistently like baby carrots.  Can you grow baby carrots?  Maybe some peas.  One of my happy childhood memories is picking peas in my mom's garden and eating half of them.  I know I'm probably a huge disappointment to my mom. :)  She always had a big beautiful garden when I was little and we always had tons of fresh corn and green beans.  I love snapping green beans for canning.  But I'm making a start.  That's gotta count for something, right?  In honor of our new little flower garden, we cleaned up the rest of the patio and took pictures.  And I finally mowed the lawn.  I even bought some Scott's Turf-Builder so that I can attempt to make my yard amazing.  At least I got rid of all the weeds.  I also bought an umbrella for the patio set.  Funny story:  yesterday it rained a little, but I didn't bring it in because I figured a little rain wouldn't hurt it.  It's an umbrella, right?  But while we were at gymnastics, the wind picked up and when we got home, the whole patio set was knocked over and the umbrella was pretty messed up.  I'll probably be able to fix it, and we are really lucky it went into the yard instead of into the window.  But so much for making things nice.


Of all the flowers in the garden, these three are definitely the prettiest:

3 comments:

MangusColoradoTribe said...

Great start on gardening and the flowers look lovely. I really like those pots! Believe me, my first forays into gardening were disasters. I am not having too much luck with my present garden, for that matter. I haven't gotten used to this Arizona clay!
Love, Mom

Luke said...

Amazingly Afghanistan has beautiful soil. At least this part of it. It looks like you could grow almost anything in it. If we actually get to move into our own little Seabee Camp then we are going to try to grow a little garden. It is a little late for some stuff, but it will be fun. We need seeds. It seems like all I ask for is seeds.

Wayne and Ann Cowley said...

I remember the flowers from when we were there and they were pretty. But I do agree that those other 3 flowers are the prettiest. We sure enjoyed our visit with you 4.

Grandma Cowley

P.S. Good luck with your garden. I don't think we will be growing any gardens too soon. Maybe some plants to scare mosquitoes away!